75100385

I have a business electricity contract through a broker which

Customer Question

I have a business electricity contract through a broker which is due to enced at he end of august.
I was contacted by the broker in december to discuss possible renewal, this I did and although we discussed terms I clearly said to him that I would need to see the terms in writing, he told me that before he could do that he would have to run through a script. he then said he was staring the recording which he did.
I never heard anymore from the broker despite making several attempts to contact them.
in july a sought a new supplier who advised me to contact my existing energy provider this I did by e-mail and received and acknowledgement of termination.
this week i had a letter from my present supplier who stated that they prevented my account from been passed on to my new supplier because I already have a contract in place.
after much toing and froing to the broker they insist that i took out a contract in december 2013
my question is can i cancel this contract because its not to start until the end of august
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Is the contract in writing please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

are you there

Sorry yes I was in court,
How is it your contract has changed? Was it extended after the discussion with the broker?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure it is completely new terms and for a much longer period than I would have agreed to

On what basis are they saying you are liable if nothing is in writing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

because of a phone call they say the cotract was made verbally

I see. Unless there is evidence it was for longer then you can rightly assume it was for 12 months ending July. That is because unless you agreed to December and indeed it was put in writing it is December, there is no evidence of a longer contract.
Therefore you can refuse to pay any additional sums. If you refuse and any claim is less than £10,000 it would be a small claim. Therefore you could counter sue the broker.
No contract, means no termination clause.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.