ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

2years ago my husband and his girl friend opened 5

Customer Question

Hello 2years ago my husband and his girl friend opened 5 credit cards in MY name. I am now having to pay off their debts...BUT as one of the banks recognised my husband and the other lady, am I still liable for these debts of can I ask my husband to repay them, which is something he is refusing to do at this present time...He does have sufficient means to twice cover the debts if he wants to. I have at present made arrangements with a debt management company to have the debts paid off over 39 years. There is an outstanding bill of £25,000.00p. I am self employed and cannot get much credit anymore or open a new Business account I would like your advice as to which route to pursue Kind Regards Lynne

PS...I don't know who the Girlfriend was and I never met her but one of the Bank's that they visited together told me that she was posing as ME (Mr & Mrs) I reported it to the Police and then that Bank refunded the outstanding money back onto the Credit Card..

I also keep track of my personal / card /banking details / information on Experion credit check

Lynne

Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Lynne
I am a solicitor and will try and help you.
What you have described sounds like your husband has committed fraud. This really does need investigating by the police further. Ask the CC companies to provide copies of the agreements so you can prove you didn't take them out.
If your husbands has the means / assets have you considered divorce and a financial claim? I could prove you with information as to the process.
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Caroline yes I have begun a Divorce . At present the Divorce is on hold while we value our property.

I think I will visit Citizens Advice Bureau and see if they can help in this matter.

Lynne

Hi Lynne
It is really important to obtain a copy of the signed credit agreements so you can prove you didn't sign them.
You need to keep on at the police.
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Caroline

Thanks for the advice and I have just filled out a Police complaint sheet against my husband online. It contained all the information I had and I shall definitely obtain more info form the other Banks as you suggested. I realise now how important that is or I am the one who will look unbalanced.

I shall most likely come back for more chat in the near future after I have completed my rounds of the Banks

Kind Regards

Lynne

Thank you for updating me Lynne.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Caroline

I have just written to a solicitor asking him to take out a separate Financial Claim against my husband.

Along with our Divorce which he has already begun

I hope that this gets some results

Thanks for the advice

Lynne

Hello Lynne
If he doesn't respond - look at mediation then court.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome