75100385

I recently purchased a car and wasn't aware of any modifications

Customer Question

hello
i recently purchased a car and wasn't aware of any modifications that had been done to the car until i tried to make a insurance claim and they brought it to my attention.
When i took out the policy i answer all the questions to the best of my knowledge and honestly and now they are trying to void my claim.
the modifications are; it says prodrive on the front grill and very small stickers on it.
where do i stand and what can i say???
please can you help
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Are the insurance company saying they would have declined insurance if that was the case?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They have not said they would of declined the car insurance if this had been brought to there attention.

they've said;

Following your recent claim, it has emerged that some of the information on your policy may be incorrect.

Our records indicate that when you took out this policy you advised us that vehicle registration DK05 had not been modified, adapted and/or fitted with any optional extras such as changes to the bodywork, engine, wheels or audio system. However, it has now been brought to our attention that your vehicle has decals/stickers and also is fitted with a pro-drive external body kit.

Your policy is now at risk of being considered void from inception due to the misrepresentation of the above information

You did not misrepresent it, you did not know!
You should write formally and object on the above basis, you are not a car expert. Unless you knew or reasonably should have known its not your fault.
They will investigate the matter and report back to you. If you are not satisfied with that response then you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman who can investigate. They offer a free service and you can complaint at: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm definitely not a car expert and had no reason to think it had been modified. I don't feel i can be held accountable for the answers i gave when i took out the policy because i was being honest and answered to the best of my knowledge and as accurate as i could.

I now feel worried that when they call me on the matter tomorrow morning it will be a financial expert that is very experienced in this type of situation and i will be treated unfair.

No you just set out your position clearly.
You have rated BAD SERVICE, what else do you want to know?

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.