Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I have sold my car to a motor dealer who keeps promising to

I have sold my car to a motor dealer who keeps promising to pay and state tnat the cheque for £15,500 is in the post but it fails to arrive. I was told by Citizen advice that there is a sample letter on their web page but can't find it. Can you help please ?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
When was the car sold and payment due? Why are they not doing a bank transfer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car sold on July 28 2015 and promised cheque would be in post following day. No mention made of bank transfer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have phoned daily but only got promises of cheque in post . No reply to phone calls yesterday and today
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I cannot find the CAB letter that you mention but in any event it's likely to be generic. I suggest you take the following steps: 1. Call the dealership and tell them to cancel the cheque which hasn't arrived and make a BACS transfer of the cash to your account immediately 2. If they fail to do so or simply refuse - you should send them an email or letter demanding payment immediately otherwise you require your vehicle to be returned or you will sue. The letter needs to be very simple - your details, their details, exact date car sold, exact agreement made and that payment has not been forthcoming 3. If nothing happens after that I would report the matter to the police first on the basis of fraud ( they have taken your vehicle and promised payment but their actions suggest dishonesty) and also start a claim online with www.moneyclaim.gov.uk