75100385

I have a friend coming on a visit from Russia, she says the

I have a friend coming on a visit from Russia, she says the British embassy in Moscow has told her that they cannot issue her with her Visa unless she shows them £900 cash when she goes to collect her visa. Could you inform me if this is so. She says that she must show the cash to prove that she can support her self for the 2 weeks she will be here. I am very worried about this and would appreciate your advice. Thank you Peter XXXXXXXXXX

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello Peter my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Have you ever actually met this person before? Is it a women you met online?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Alex ,yes she is a woman and I have not met her. We have been writing to each other for over 2 months. I have a copy of her passport page with her name and passport number. I also have photos of her and her address.. The document seems authentic and she seems to be a genuine person. I have tried to contact the British embassy in Moscow but cannot get past the phone options and speak to any one. Maybe you can advise me. I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you but I laid my sister to rest yesterday and was in no condition to contact you. Peter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I have received no answers yet. Could you be good enough to refund the £34 fee I have been charged and delete me from your data base. Thank you Peter Gordon
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You relisted it so it went to the bottom of my list. I am also sorry to hear about your loss.
There is no law that requires the UK Embassy to see £900 in cash. It is not a requirement of a visa. All the UK need to be satisfied is that they will go back at the end of the trip and can support them self. If she is staying with you that is no problem but there is no chance a UK embassy would ask to see £900 in cash
Think about it even if she showed them the cash what would be to stop her spending it before coming to the UK. So no, it is not a requirement and I would be very careful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have more or less confirmed my suspicions thank you. Is there any way I can find out if she has actually applied for a Visa. ?It is just so difficult to talk to some one at the Embassy in Moscow.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sadly not as it would be a breach of the data protection act.
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, I had another letter today and my friend was very upset that I did not believe her. I emphasised that she did not have to show money as long as I would support her. It leaves me in two minds. She says that because of sanctions against the Russians she still has to produce money to obtain her
Visa. I can't tell if she is naive or if she is really a part of a scam. I have asked her if she wants me to go to Russia but I have also sent her a letter of support to show she has a genuine friend willing to fully support her and accommodate her while she is in the uk. I did send her money to help with her air fare a couple of weeks ago and she has now said that she would send it back to me when she gets her next salary. She is on holiday until 1st September. I am in a state of indecision at the moment. My recent loss at this time has not helped. Peter.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
They are scammers, this person is not real. I don't believe what the person says because the UK embassy would never ask for £900 cash proof.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex thank you for your help. I will right this off now, a bit older and a bit wiser. Peter.