75100385

I signed a lease on a commercial property nearly a year ago.

I signed a lease on a commercial property nearly a year ago. I have just been contacted by the landlord saying that I need to resign the lease as the witness section was filled out incorrectly.
I would actually like to get out of the lease agreement as there have been a change in circumstances but it runs for an additional 3 years.
My question is... Is the lease still valid if I do not resign it or would I be able to walk away from it as it was not signed correctly?
thanks a lot
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Did you sign the document please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I signed the document. It was the witness details that were filled in incorrectly.
Ok, in what way filled out wrongly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They filled in their name and address but didn't sign it
Ok. Sadly that does not make the whole lease invalid, it does not need to be witnessed to be binding.
When you and the Landlord sign it, that means there is a contract. If there was a dispute over whether you had actually signed it, then the witness is important. But you accept you signed it so sadly it is binding.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Alex, your help is very much appreciated. That's a shame but looked like a way out!
Indeed. I am sorry.
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.