12826847

My son was evicted from his house by his former wife. He is

My son was evicted from his house by his former wife. He is now homeless. He has title to the property. His belongings have been thrown out into a non weatherproof outhouse and damaged as have some of mine which he was working on and keeping for me. Some valuable items have disappeared it has been discovered when my son visited the property yesterday with a policeman to shield him.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do to acrimonius break up of my sons marriage and settlements child custody etc I am afraid of being summoned for harrasment. The items missing there is no provenance but I believe she may have sold them. Can I take a small claim or should I pursue her at a higher level?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What is the value of the missing items?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Difficult one. The Tool Chest was given to me by a former seaman friend now deceased and had HM dockyard plate on it with his name. It contained engine parts for the missing Classic Car Engine described earlier. Value mainly sentimental - the items in it are irreplaceable.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
To sue at the small claims court you would need to put a value on them I'm afraid.
There will need to be evidence of their value.
What are you hoping to achieve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe that these items have been disposed of and in my mind that is theft which should be a criminal matter surely?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I do agree.
You could report it to the police and they should investigate.
She will say that they were never there and probably also that she is a victim of domestic abuse and cry a bit and will suddenly remember your son in a hood in a forest chanting Satanic verses. Amazing how they all remember that their partners were 'abusers' when the relationship has finished.
Whether she will be charged or not is another matter. She could be. It depends on the credibility of the evidence.
Even if she is though, if you want to seek compensation you will still need a rough value.
It is probably a good idea to report it before she starts making allegations against all and sundry.