Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Can a minor sign a purchase agreement to purchase a propery

Customer Question

Can a minor sign a purchase agreement to purchase a propery with the consent of his/her legal guardian? The effect being that the proerty will be registered in the name of the minor and the name of the guardian
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid a minor is not legally entitled to purchase a property and therefore can't be registered as the owner of a property at the Land Registry.

Therefore, the property would have to be purchased in the name of the guardian. For belts and braces, a separate Trust Deed should also be drawn up to confirm that the guardian is holding the property on trust for the minor. The Solicitor acting on the purchase would be able to prepare this.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

Hi Alan,

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards

Al