How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I purchased a used car from a dealer at Easter 2014, and in

Resolved Question:

I purchased a used car from a dealer at Easter 2014, and in May 2015 it has broken down due to a suspected faulty part. As it turns out, the part was not faulty (manufacturer investigation) but inappropriately fitted by the seller, who rejects all responsibility, the incident being outside of his 3 months warranty period.
The repair bill so far amounts to £3000 and more issues are being found. I have been without a car for 3 months.
Is that a valid claim to go to the small claim court please?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you.
Given the length of time you may struggle but it is worth a try and small claim is inexpensive and you only pay the issue and hearing fee.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer. In a claim to the court, do I have to specify the legal grounds under which I make a claim? Such as the law under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 says that the car should be:

  • of satisfactory quality

  • fit for its intended purpose or a purpose that you made known to the dealer

  • as described

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes all those grounds.
Does that help?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.


Related Law Questions