UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have recently recived a letter stating that i owe money

Hi, I have recently recived a letter stating that i owe money for a course i signed up to do in 2010 from train2game with a loan from career development finance limited. I was told when i was sold the course that i had 14 days to cancel by written letter only. This letter was sent two days after accepting the course due to a change in circumstances. Since then i had contact from them saying they did not receive a letter. At this point i threatened legal action and never got a reply until now from a debt collection company. What is my legal standing on this? With only being given a single option to cancel by written letter only that i sent but they never recived?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Do you evidence that you sent the cancellation letter and what date did you enter into the agreement in 2010?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have no evidence, i was told by the salesmen that when people cancel just to use royal mail first class.

Im not sure on a accurate date as they have not provided me with any copies of my loan agreement, contracts or course enrollment. I 90% sure it was April 2010 as that was the first and only time they tried to take any form of payment from my account

I have done some research into the company and im not the only one going through this situation, the sister companies and other sections of the business have appeared on watchdog

They have 6 years to claim the money from you in the courts under the Limitation Act 1980, so if the date was April 2010, they have only until April 2016 to make a court claim against you for the money.
I would therefore advise you to stop all contact with the debt agency or the company, it is unlikely that they will sue you if they are a rogue company as you say.
Unfortunately, there is no evidence to back your claim up that you sent the cancellation letter, but you defend any court claim by saying you sent the cancellation letter 2 days later, if the matter ever goes to court.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much for help. Best cash i have ever put down and you have put my mind at ease

Cheers. Please take a second to leave feedback