12826847

Do you have to be accessed by law to drive after a stroke

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a stroke 2013 Septemer 2013 and disabled down my right side I have been waiting for my access meant in Edinburgh for over 5months now and they say it will be now another 3 months do staff problems. So do I have be access or can I order my motability car without being accessed
Has anybody told you that you should not drive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, others I have spoken to say no need for a test but I have not spoken to my doctor,
No, but I presume that medical staff are aware of your stroke?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I spent 14weeks in hospital I had a bleed in the head and I have my doctor 3 times since being home in 18 months
OK.
Have any of them advised you not to drive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for delay but no one has
Have you notified the DVLA about your stroke?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Okay.
You need to ascertain whether or not your condition is notifiable one. If it were then one would expect your healthcare professionals to of mentioned it to you. Strokes are notifiable but not all strokes are covered because not all of the same.
Obviously I haven't seen your diagnosis so cannot say but it is something that your own doctors could help with.
If it is notifiable then you are under a duty to tell the DVLA and they probably will revoke for a short time at least while they satisfy themselves that your condition is one that does not cause risks to the public.
That normally involves corresponding with your own doctor for information and sometimes it can be put to bed then.
If there are of the view that there is still risk then sometimes they can send to an independent third party for assessments.