ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

Past year I have been carrying the on call hospital

Customer Question

For the past year I have been carrying the on call hospital phone to receive calls from Doctors referring patients to our eye clinics. Doctors can contact me from 08:30 to 20:30hrs Monday to Friday and half day Saturday. I get paid for 37.5hrs a week.
Any overtime is paid at the same rate even on Saturday. I don't get paid for the on call hrs The reason I do so is because we are short staffed and there is no one who can cover until we recruit . I have carried the on call whilst I have been on annual leave
and sick leave. I am becoming ill because of this. My GP put my headaches and nosebleeds to stress. My family are very unsettled as I am always on call. I'm so unhappy I have considered resigning! I have no alternative but to stay . My position is that of
an Ophthalmology Clinical Lead. What can I do. Should I involve my union?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you have been suffering at work and also how this is now affecting your health.
If you are with a Union then you should without a doubt contact them. You need to be able to relax and take your annual leave without having to worry.
If matters are not resolved then this will inevitably lead to you being signed off on long term sick, which your employers clearly will not want.
If you haven't already spoken with your line manager about the situation - then please do.
It may be that if matters do not resolve then you might have to consider yourself as being constructively dismissed. This is were you have to resign as a result of the employer creating a hostile work environment. Since the resignation was not truly voluntary, it is in effect a termination and you should then consider making a claim to an employment tribunal.
I do hope that this wont become necessary and your employers will start to assist you and that you feel better soon.
Kind Regards
Caroline
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive feedback is gratefully received.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will respond tomorrow. I am having a nosebleed at the moment. My headache is worse. I'm in work by 10 am. I'm really so depressed by all this
I'm sorry to hear that. I do hope that matters are resolved for you.
Kind Regards
Caroline
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer.