Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My neighbours house which is attached to mine has submitted

My neighbours house which is attached to mine has submitted a planning application for an extension right up to the boundary. Do they have to leave a gap between the wall and my fence. Also can I insist that the footing do not go under my land?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. The law is that your neighbour can build up to the midpoint line of the boundary between your two houses. This means that your neighbour does not have to leave a gap between the wall and your fence. However, you can insist that no foundations or footing go under your land, as strictly speaking, you own the soil under the boundary up to the midpoint line of the fence. So you can prevent anything which intrudes on this mid point line.