75100385

HelloVery briefly - I deferred my state pension

Very briefly - I deferred my state pension for 4 years and when I decided to activate it I was told I was only entitled to 1 year's return, as I was in receipt of a widow's pension (£32 p.w.) at the time. State Pension at that time was £108 p.w.! DW&P informed me it was my responsibility to be aware of this although when I telephoned to defer I was not informed that this was the case. This has resulted in me losing approx. £10,000.00 in savings and I now will have to apply for Pension Tax Credit.
I have explored every avenue I can think of and my MP has too, but to no avail. Is there any way we could create a precedent to challenge this decision?
Norma XXXXXXXXXXx
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello NicolaYes I am happy to continue waiting.Thank youNorma Sinclair
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello NicolaHappy for yo to carry on!RegardsNorma Sinclair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nicola-mod was referring me to a new Solicitor and I was advised I would get a response by email typically within 24 hours. That was on the 19th August at 08.58. It is now the 21st August at 16.30 - no response yet?RegardsNorma Sinclair (Mrs)
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is it you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello AlexI deferred my state pension for 4 years and when I decided to activate it I was told I was only entitled to1 year's return as I was in receipt of a £32.00 p.w. widow's pension. State pension at that time was £108.00 p.w.DfW&P informed me it was my responsibility to be aware of this although when I telephoned to defer my pension I was not informed that this was the case. This has resulted in my losing approx. £10,000.00 in savings. I have explored every avenue so far that I can think of as has my MP, Mr Ian Murray, but to no avail.My question is can a precedent be created to challenge this decision by the DfW&P?Kind regardsNorma Sinclair (Mrs)PS I am going to Cornwall tomorrow for 5 days so may not see your reply until I return
You need to consider a Judicial Review. This is where a High Court examines the decision of the DWP to see whether it is legal and reasonable. The Judge can see whether they have acted fairly, taken everything into account and come to a fair decision.
This is a High Court matter and you would need a Solicitor to represent you. It may be something that you could be entitled legal aid for. The Judge can agree with their decision or remit it back to the DWP.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear AlexThank you very much for your answer. I will now go back to my MP and discuss this with him.Kind regardsNorma Sinclair (Mrs)
Happy to help Norma
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience