12826847

I have received 3 NIP on the M1 Northbound on

I have received 3 NIP for speeding on the M1 Northbound on the same journey, same day 20 minutes apart from each other. All 3 NIP are issued by different Police forces (Derbyshire, South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire). Will these be considered as 3 separate offences or as one offence.
Is there any reason you think they may not be separate offences?
What are you thinking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's what I need legal advice on, after reading RTOA 1988 section 28 I am confused
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could you please answer my question
They will be treated as separate offences Im afraid.
There has always been a debate upon the point of whether or not one continuous act of driving at speed amounts to one offence or several depending upon the number of devices passed.
It has never been taken to appeal and so remains unresolved. However, they will treat it as separate offences in the absence of guidance from the Court of Appeal.
In addition, even if it did amount to one continuous act that would more likely lead to a charge of driving without due care and attention which carries higher penalties.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that's fine, thank you