12826847

I am a director of the company which owns the block of flats

Customer Question

i am a director of the company which owns the block of flats where i live; each flat owner has one share. The other two directors have taken a decision without consulting me to buy a settee to place in the entrance hall of the building for the use of residents waiting eg for a taxi (knowing that i would be opposed to this action) - until recently this was the only way the building could be accessed or left but an alternative has now been provided. The building dates back to the 1850s and 1903; it contains much wooden flooring etc and no purpose built emergency fire exit.
My opposition is based on the view that it is not safe to place a large piece of potentially combustible furniture in such a strategic position - it could be obstructive and in some form it will burn emitting fumes in the case of fire.
In the event of a fire and casualties, can i escape legal responsibility if the directors were to be sued personally because i opposed the decision
- should i ask for my opposition to be recorded in a directors meeting minute
- should i see that my opposition is made known to the other flat owners
-
- should resign when the furniture arrives
- if i resign, can i agree to be re-apppointed at the next agm
- generaly any advice please
***** ***** a director of Stray Services Ltd
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What does your memorandum and articles say about taking decisions and notice etc?