ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

My daughter is stuck in a marriage that has run its course

My daughter is stuck in a marriage that has run its course to a point where there is no option other than divorce. She has a low income (classroom assistant) and no money of her own but she can't find any help anywhere. She isn't being abused or beaten, she just can't persuade her husband to do anything about money and he's the main earner, though he makes sure my daughter isn't able to save anything.
I'm worried about her mental health, the strain she is under has already caused her to have a nervous breakdown and she seems to be going that way again.
What do you suggest?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
I note that you are concerned about your daughters mental health.
Your daughter might still be able to qualify for legal aid if she can convince her GP that she is suffering from a condition such as stress as result of husbands behaviour.
Domestic violence is wide ranging and is not just physical abuse. It can include emotional and financial abuse.
Check out:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/get-medical-proof-of-domestic-violence
If her GP completes the letter she should then take it to a Solicitor who specialises in Legal aid work. They will then assess her financial means and if she qualified they will be able to help with matters such as divorce, finances and children.
Kind Regards
Caroline
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive feedback is gratefully received. We received no credit for our work otherwise.
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My daughter has booked an appointment to see her gp later this week, so once she ha spoken to her, I'll be able to rate your answer. I'd like to say thanks, ***** ***** wasn't sure about rating your reply. I will, but just now I don't feel I can.

Thank you for your response.
I can't speak for the GP but hopefully given what you have described the GP will be content to complete the template.
Unfortunately since the change in rules for Legal Aid then it can only be accessed if there is domestic violence evidence and your daughter qualifies on means.
I hope your daughters GP chooses to help her so that she can get the help she needs. This does of course depend on what your daughter explains has happened and how her husbands behaviour has made her feel. This is of course beyond my control - I can only guide you as to the current process. I hope her GP chooses to help her.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please rate positively