75100385

I have recently started as a contractor on a three month

Customer Question

I have recently started as a contractor on a three month rolling contract but had to take 1 and a half days because of a family emergency. Can my contract be terminated because I took the days off in my second week?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What does your contract say about termination please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All it says is standard termination I think it's one week but not sure

Does it say in what grounds if can be terminated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All it says is that either party can terminate with one days notice if i was negligent or dishobest. I am contracting through an agency for this company if it helps. Would it be useful if I sent you my contract?

Thanks but I dont think that is necessary. its bad news I am afraid, as you have only been there a short while they are entitled to terminate your contract. As long as they dont terminate on the grounds of race, sex, religion, age etc, then its not discrimination.
As such they are entitled to terminate for whatever reason they want. As you have only been there a short while you have very little rights at all.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex what if if my father is ill. He's been diagnosed with blood cancer and I've had to take off two days to spend time with him in hospital. Can they terminate my contract

Yes sadly.
I am sorry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Won't that be unethical of them to do that

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had no choice but to take two days off. My father is in a critical condition

Unethical does not make it illegal I am sorry to say.