75100385

I have just received a letter from the tax office saying that

I have just received a letter from the tax office saying that i owe them over £4,000. When i contacted them they said that this is because they had made a mistake and had not been working out my tax correctly, therefore charging me less than they should of. They now want me to pay the full amount immediately. Can they do this as it was their fault? I trusted them to be able to do their job correctly which they haven't and now i am paying the price which i cant afford to do as i don't have the money just lying around.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Is this PAYE tax or tax credits please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

paye

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Sadly you will have to pay that back even though it was their fault, but they can't make you do it in one go.
It was their mistake and fault and you should not suffer for it. Clearly there is a debt but you can pay this by weekly/monthly instalments, they cant make you pay it in one go.
If you had underpaid it was your fault, that would be different, but it is their mistake.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.