How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1313
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I have been informed verbally by my employer to look

This answer was rated:

I have been informed verbally by my employer to look for another job as after the month of August, 2015 he will have no work for me. I am 23 years of age and started working for my employer after leaving school at the age of 15 years (I left full-time education in July, 2007), and started my Apprenticeship as an Electrician on my 16th birthday on August 17, 2007. I am a qualified Electrician, having served a work and college based 3 year recognised Apprenticeship, and now have 4 years post apprenticeship experience. Will I be entitled to a Redundancy payment, as I have worked continuously for the same employer for seven years.
Welcome to Just Answer.
Thank you for your question.
You’ll normally be entitled to statutory redundancy pay if you’re an employee and you’ve been working for your current employer for 2 years or more.
You’ll get:
half a week’s pay for each full year you were under 22
one week’s pay for each full year you were 22 or older, but under 41
one and half week’s pay for each full year you were 41 or older
Pay is capped at currently at £475 per week.
You must be given a notice period before your employment ends.
The statutory redundancy notice periods are:
at least one week’s notice if employed between one month and 2 years
one week’s notice for each year if employed between 2 and 12 years
12 weeks’ notice if employed for 12 years or more
Redundancy pay (including any severance pay) under £30,000 isn’t taxable.
Your employer will deduct tax and National Insurance contributions from any wages or holiday pay they owe you.
If your employer fails to pay or disputes your entitlement then you should firstly put in a written claim to your employer and if that fails ask an employment tribunal to consider the matter. This must be done within six months of the job ending.
An ACAS Conciliator may be able to assist here. Acas (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) provides free and impartial information and advice to employers and employees on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law. They can be found at:
If your employer can’t or won’t make a redundancy payment you can make a claim for payment from the Redundancy Payments Office (RPO). The legal obligation for redundancy payments lies with the employer. If an employer genuinely can not afford these settlements, the RPO may be able to make the payments directly to the employees.
If your employer has been declared legally insolvent, the insolvency service who is dealing with your employers circumstances will give you an applications form RP1 which will enable you to make a claim.
If your employer has been declared legally insolvent this means the company has gone into:
Liquidation with a court winding up order
Voluntary arrangement with creditors
The employer has died
If however your employer is not legally insolvent and you have been given an employment tribunal award, which the employer has not paid, you can apply to the Redundancy Payments Office (RPO) for payment.
Kind regards
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive feedback is gratefully received. No credit is given for our work and we don't get paid unless positive feedback is received.
ukfamilysolicitor and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you