ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

In 1994 my parents signed over their property to me , then

In 1994 my parents signed over their property to me , then I leased it back to them I think it was called a peppercorn charge, since then I lost my mum last year , and have reacently sold my mums house but because there is a lease on the land registry the buyers have said they can't buy it till it is lifted.....I can't find the document . The solicitor who arranged it I 1994 has died, would my current solicitor who did my mums will,probate be able to help me or I will lose the sale of the hose.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
A few options for you:
1) The Land Registry might have a copy - as your lease was pre 2003 - it should have been registered if it was for 21 years or more. Worth a try - although if they did have the document it would be readily available to the buyers solicitors through the land registry's online portal, so I suspect it isn't there. But you can try:
https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry
2) There would have been the original lease signed by you and a copy. You would have had one - your parents the other. Ask your mum if she could check her papers.
3) You could contact the Law Society to see if they know what happened to your original solicitors practice and deeds following their death.
If solicitors copy can't be found and you can't find another copy of your title deeds at home, then they will have to be “reconstituted”, which may have to be done by a new solicitor. Please see this guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/first-registration-of-title-where-deeds-have-been-lost-or-destroyed/practice-guide-2-first-registration-of-title-if-deeds-are-lost-or-destroyed
Kind Regards
Caroline
I would kindly be grateful if you could rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive feedback is gratefully received. Please note that we receive no credit for our work unless positive feedback is received.
I would be grateful for positive feedback