12826847

I have had a car accident involving a pedestrian who stepped

Customer Question

I have had a car accident involving a pedestrian who stepped off of the pavement and I caught his right arm with my wing mirror. Although initially he said he was alright, he is now claiming things were more serious and he should sue me... I have reported the incident to the police who have advised me to inform my insurance company. Before doing so I checked and discovered I had forgotten to notify them of a speeding ticket issued in Feb 2011. How do I stand please?
How long have you been insured with them please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Jo, I have been with them for ten years.

OK.
You are going to have to disclose. They will find out in the end anyway.
The short answer is that they could dishonour the claim on this basis as it is a relevant non disclosure
Probably they would not though. With people with a long history of insuring with one firm usually they just ask you to pay the difference between the price you paid and the amount that the premium would have been had you known.
Almost certainly that will be their view of this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, if they do dishonour the claim where do I stand if action is taken against me? What are the alternatives please?

You are liable personally. There is no way around that I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have since discovered that the speeding ticket expires after four years and as such my licence points are at zero - https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Yes, it does but your insurance company will almost certainly have asked about anything in the last five years. Sometimes they ask about the last ten.