75100385

I composed an original score film and I signed a contract

I composed an original score for a film and I signed a contract whereby they would pay me some money upfront and the rest would be paid after the release of the film. The remaining amount is treated as deferred payment. The film has been released a year ago and despite my best efforts to be paid , they refused to pay me.
Communications have now collapsed and a mediation request has now being ignored. I would like to take them to small claims but I am unclear as of if the term 'deferred payment' will render my efforts to retrieve my money via a small claims court, useless. With thanks
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
How much is owing please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Alex,

The owed amount is just under £12,000

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
The fact it is deferred makes no difference, the trigger was release so you are entitled to payment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Alex,

Many thanks, ***** ***** already threatened them with legal action giving them a month (four weeks) to reply to my mediation request or else I would press on with legal action and I have sent to them the amount owed to me.

In addition, I took legal advice which advised me that I have indeed gone to all lengths I could in order to resolve this and that the next step would be a lawsuit via a small claims court.

I was unclear about the deferred payment term which you have clarified for me.

Thank you very much for your help.

Happy to help, good luck with this.
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.