Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I've just found out someone I know has been using a false

Hi I've just found out someone I know has been using a false email address similar to my building company's email and making out they are me, can you advise on what I can do about this situation
Gavin
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. What are they doing with this false email address?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ve a lad that works with me which is there son and they have contacted an apprentice college using this email as me to get the lad signed up on an apprentice course. They have communicated with the person at the college a number of times giving information so this person from the college contacted me by phone to discuss a meeting and I knew nothing about as of which the college person sent me a draft of the emails they have had from this third party
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Understood. This is fraud and as such you could report this matter to the police or prosecute the other people privately if you wish. Anybody who is uses deception to gain something is committing a criminal offence and this could result and if convicted the worst cases could result in a prison sentence (although here it would probably be a fine). If you don't wish to go down this route then you could contact the college to correct the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Alice