ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

My ex is bipolar and in severe financial difficulty. He only

Customer Question

My ex is bipolar and in severe financial difficulty. He only pays £169 a month towards our two children but I am happy to release him from this financial burden. How do I go about arranging this?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
If you ex is currently paying you privately then you can simply agree that his payments stop.
Please can you confirm if you are currently paid by court order (and if so when was this order made) or through the Child Maintenance Service?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies I've been away. The amount was agreed in mediation when we split and carried across onto the court order for the children when we divorced. I would appear he has taken me to my word and stopped paying me anyway - which is fine, but I wanted to do it properly so he cannot use it against me further down the line ie I don't want him accusing me by saying I'm limiting his access to the children because he's not providing anything for them etc.
His access is always open but by his choice very limited - In fact the divorce agreement was every other weekend but they are lucky if they see him once a month- it's usually once every two.
Thank you for your response.
The amount that the absent parent is actually paying for child maintenance doesn't actually affect the time that the parent spends with the children.
In relation to the court order for maintenance you could look at submitting a consent order to the court confirming the current agreement but it really doesn't affect the position in relation to spending time with the children.
Unfortunately the court would also be unable to enforce your ex to spend time with the children if he is not able/ committed.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Positive feedback is gratefully received.