75100385

We have a small shopping village and let the retail units on

Customer Question

We have a small shopping village and let the retail units on a licence basis. Initially a 12 month contract and thereafter 4 weeks notice required to vacate either way. A tenant has signed a 12 month contract and decided to vacate after 3 months only giving me a weeks notice. She has only paid one months rent so is 2 months in arrears. I have reminded her nicely that she is under contract (licence) for 12 months but have offered to be as reasonable as possible and suggested she pay the 2 months arrears plus 3 months in advance, and I would be willing to terminate the contract. I now have to advertise and market the unit and need time to find a suitable tenant. I will also be liable for the rates on the unit after 3 months.
She has not replied to my offer and is not answering my phone calls. We are only a small family business and I can't afford to have empty units as we have a large loan to pay. Do you think the small claims court would be my best option now? Would be most grateful for any advise. Thank you and kind regards
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
How much is owing please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex, The rent is £360 per month and she has only paid one month so she still owes for June and July plus the remainder of the 12 month contract ie. 11 months @ £360 = £3,960. However, I have 'without prejudice' said I would accept £1800 if paid now and would then terminate her contract. I need at least 3 months to find a suitable tenant and may end up having to pay rates on empty premises. (tenants are normally responsible for their rates).

Do you think this is the right thing? where do I go from here?

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

should I put in a claim for the full 12 months?

Yes you should.
Does that help?