12826847

I had work carried out on my home, a new bathroom and kitchen

I had work carried out on my home, a new bathroom and kitchen fitted, the builder did not complete the work on time and after giving him a further 2 weeks he had still not finished so I asked him to leave. He then sent me a final bill via text message which was £925 more than the verbal quote we had agreed at the beginning of the work. At no point did he make me aware before how much the extra costs were likely to be. I have paid the original quote, but nothing more, he is now messaging me saying that he wants the rest of the payment within 5 days or he will start to charge me 4% interest per month. He has also told me that a result of my non-full payment he has had to lay off staff and has credit due. I am a single female living alone, I do not have the extra money and it is causing me a lot of anxiety.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What should I do about the extra money the builder is expecting?
What is his justification for this?
Is he saying you asked him to do additional work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was some additional work putting up shelves and changing some plug sockets. However the main bulk of the final bill was on the actual work for the bathroom. He quoted me £1300 originally. I asked him to confirm as I was having to get a loan and he agreed this would be the amount. He then did not meet the deadline of finishing the work within 2 weeks, he had 1-3 other men working with him. The work continued for another 2 weeks and he still didn't fully finish the work. One of his members of staff told me the day before I asked them to leave that he had a been to prison after committing a violent crime and that he is a nice person now, but mess with him and he is an evil bastard. I have been very fearful and not known how to manage it. I have been ignoring it and now he is chasing me for the money
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He then added another £650 to the original £1300
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As well as another £400 for the additional jobs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have paid him £1300 to date
What is his specific justification for the additional £650?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There has not been any direct justification, that is just what he put in the final bill. He has since said when I haven't paid anymore that he has costs to pay for materials and staff wages. He never at any point told me it would be more, he really took too long on the work. I would come home most days after the agreed deadline and virtually nothing had changed despite him being there for a full day for 4 weeks with up to 3 other men.
A quote should be accurate within a range of 20%. Courts do accept that increases and decreases can happen when actual work is performed.
This sum exceeds 20% though.
He is entitled to charge for any additional work that he was asked to do not included within the quote obviously but this £650 doesn't seem to be included within that.
How you deal with it depends really upon your appetite for risk. I would just refuse to pay and invite him to sue me if he disagrees. If he does sue then put him to proof that this sum is due.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about him saying that he will charge me 4% interest for every month that I do not pay the difference?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can he actually do that?
No but he can charge 8% per year pursuant to the county courts act.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How much will it cost to sue me?
Not a lot for this sum. Probably about £50.
But then it won't cost you much to defend it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have written a letter to him, stating that he has breached our contract Under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 which states; a trader must carry out a service with reasonable care and skill, for a reasonable cost or the cost you've agreed and within a reasonable time, or the time you've agreed. He as actually caused me a number of damages to rectify the work he didn't complete and getting the locks changed and seeking advice
Yes, it just comes down to whether or not two weeks notice is enough.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean 2 weeks to complete the work in the first place or the following 2 weeks I gave him afterwards?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the letter I have agreed to pay him a further £220 for additional work after deductions for getting the work finished and not paying the £500 for the bathroom
Two weeks to finish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can the builder sell my debts off
Sorry?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can he sell the debt off to a debt company without going through court?
Yes, he could do that but they don't have any real powers anyway without a CCJ.
I'm happy to continue with this but please leave feedback for my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I leave feedback?
You just rate an answer.
You can ask follow up questions for free.