Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My aunt has just died and my sister and I are her only next

Customer Question

My aunt has just died and my sister and I are her only next of kin. She appointed a farmer in the village to be her executor - he is in his late 80s. I just wondered if we had any legal right to ask to see a copy of my Aunt's will as he is proving to be very unhelpful, even with questions concerning her funeral.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Only the people who stand to benefit from your Aunt's Will and the Executor are entitled to see a copy of the Will.
As Executor, he is under a duty to inform all beneficiaries of their inheritance. I therefore suggest that you ask him directly as to whether or not you are indeed a beneficiary.
If not, the Will remains a private document, until Probate is granted. Probate is required if the Estate is valued at over £5-£10,000 or if your Aunt left a property. Once Probate has been granted, which is normally approx 3-5 months after death, any member of the public can apply to the Leeds Probate Regstry for a copy of the Will, for a nominal fee.
I hope this helps and sets out the legal position to you.
If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.
Kind Regards
Al
Can I assist you any further?
Kind Regards
Al