12826847

Involved in a driving without due care and attention speeding

Customer Question

involved in a driving without due care and attention speeding incident which resulted in me undertaking on the middle lane then overtaking back onto the outside lane, clipping the vehicle in front and spinning into the barrier on the central reservation, continuing to spin and ending up in the middle lane facing the oncoming traffic. police say it was serious dangerous driving but have only asked me to go for an appointment on 1st Sept with no other details. Do not know what I will be charged for but other drivers at the time may have been witness to how I was driving at speed.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Need advice on whether we need legal representation and what likely charge will be

They may arrest you for dangerous driving but I would imagine it would only lead to a charge of careless driving.
Dangerous driving is the most serious non fatal driving offence in the UK and it isn't really supported by this. I suppose they could argue that the prolonged nature of this particular instance of driving knocks it over into dangerous driving but it is not the best charge.
If you attending interview at the police station then you do need a solicitor. Legal aid should cover this if they are saying it will be a dangerous driving charge even if you are there as a volunteer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we didnt think legal aid would cover this sort of thing, who do we contact?

Well, it might not be. It wouldn't be for a careless driving.
Any criminal firm would attend with you if they have notice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry why did you mention legal aid?

Because it is relevant to the issue of representation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So would legal aid cover this?

It might be for dangerous driving. It is one of those borderline offences that the call centre might assess as appropriate and might not. You don't know until you apply.