12826847

I run a children's nursery and it will be closing down end

Customer Question

I run a children's nursery and it will be closing down end of August due to my retirement and I have an outstanding debt by a parent of fees - how is the best way of trying to get this debt paid - have spoken to parents and written to them as well but have had no response.
Are you willing to sue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I am but if it costs me more than the debt I will not be interested.

They only owe £600?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes to be exact £677 - Terms fees for two children

It is not that expensive to sue at the small claims court. That will probably cost around £50 to issue.
I would send them a letter before action first though setting out the sum that is owed and giving them 28 days to pay. Make clear that you will sue if they do not pay by this date.
If they do not then issue here
www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
Letters before action sometimes work and sometimes do not but they protect you for costs and they are free to send.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not gone through this as normally a letter from me has the desired result - but yes can you send letter on my behalf - thanks - I will be at my daughters from pm today until Monday.

We cannot send it on your behalf under the rules of this site but I can put you in contact with people who can?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo I did send email yesterday but have heard nothing - I am now back from my daughters and would like to progress further with this matter - what is the next stage Sandy

Go on?
I am here.
Next stage of what?
What are you thinking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo - sorry last email you mentioned about putting me in touch with someone who would send out a solicitor's letter - I thought that is the next stage of this problem - Sandy

OK.
You can try here
www.churchcourtchambers.co.uk
or
www.5pumpcourt.com
Public access barristers can do this now and it is much cheaper than using a solicitor.