12826847

I am attending court on Monday 24th and at present I don't

Customer Question

I am attending court on Monday 24th and at present I don't have a solicitor. I am being charged with assault by beating , I have already given my versions of events. It was then taken to CPS and I was charged and bailed. But at present I just want the
situation over and done with. What are theimplications of me attending court and pleading guilty. Or is there a process I should follow before hand.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What are the circumstances of the assault?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my ex partner claims that I stood over her and hit her with a pillow five times, she then ran outside and to which I went after her and coached her back into the house. however a witness is saying they saw me run after her and grab her by the waist and put my hand over her mouth. she also says I grabbed her but she doesn't say I put my hand over her mouth. she then goes on to say I pinned her down by her shoulders and threatened her. But I threw a pillow at her which hit her.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't plead guilty lightly. Anything can happen. They may not attend. People do lose interest sometimes.
On your version of events it is probably a conditional discharge.
On the witnesses or her's, actually it is not much more serious, but it is likely to be a low level community order really because they won't like the covering of the mouth and returning to the property.
If you have told the police already what you have done then probably you will have to plead to something. This should have been a no comment interview I'm afraid. The only question is whether you plead on your facts or upon theirs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if pleading guilty. Would I be pleading to her version of events? I'm somewhat confused at the moment as I'm having trouble finding solicitor
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well it depends,
If you plead guilty and say nothing else then you will be accepting the entirety of the prosecution allegation which will probably be upon the facts of the witness.
If you attend court and offer a basis of plea then you can assert your version of events but the risk is that the Crown will not accept it. Then it will be for the court to decide whether or not the difference is such that a material difference to sentence would be made. If so they can order a Newton hearing to determine which they prefer. If you lose that hearing then you will lose credit for a guilty plea and be liable for costs.