How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I came to England on student visa to study pilot course on

Resolved Question:

I came to England on student visa to study pilot course on 2012 , and in the middle of my studies I had to extend my visa to finish my course . So I went to the home office and gave them my passport to extend my visa and I payed for same day service! They took my passport and said to me that we gonna keep it with us because we can't issue the visa in the same day ,and we will get back to you as soon as possible . But they haven't gave me my passport back yet they have my passport for one year and six months . During all this time I have been left without an ID and I couldn't go home to see my family also I finished my pilot course and couldn't apply for any jobs couldn't even apply for driving license and my family still spending money on me until now!
Can I take the home office to court and ask for my passport back and for Permanent residence as a Compensation ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What losses have you suffered please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I paid 70,000 £ , for my pilot training and still can't apply for job until now because they have my passport

i can't benefit from my studies and all this time without job I keep paying every year for my pilot license renewal , and Also a loss in my theatrical knowldg because couldn't apply for job !

plus i had to cancel few exams that I had to take due to no ID in possession. Plus paying for all living expenses all this time .

Without passport I couldnt do nothing

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
How much do you want to claim?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to claim Permanent residenc in the UK so I can apply for jobsb in UK , or claim at least 50% of my studies expenses ?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
How much in value are you seeking to claim?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

35,000 £

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.