I recently purchased a property at auction and am having

I recently purchased a property at auction and am having problems regarding the special conditions. I am due to complete tomorrow but due to this outstanding issue, and am not sure what I should do.

My winning bid on Auction day was £30,000 and I paid a £600 buyers auction fee to the auction house.

The special conditions are:

My Solicitors sent me the completion statement on Monday which included an Extra £2,160 of Sellers Auctioneers fees payable by me.

It seems that the seller intended that the buyer reimburse the seller their auction fees, however I have read this as the seller would reimburse my fees.

So far my Solicitors have not been very helpful, however as completion is tomorrow – I am unable to switch.

I don’t not want to complete as I believe there are a raft of problems that come with that, such as losing my deposit and being made liable for any shortfall if the seller tries to resell the property and subsequently gets a lower amount.

However going forward I want to know what my best option is, shall I tell me solicitors to pay the full amount minus the £2,160 and go to small claims court after for the £600 is the seller does not reimburse me? Since I would have not paid all the money could this still be taken as not completing?

In which case should I pay the full amount and go to court after to reclaim the money?

Additional Info:

On the day of the auction when we ‘exchanged contracts’ I paid £3,000 deposit. The next day someone contacted me from the auction house and said that,

“we will be needing an extra £2000 deposit from you...

If you have a look in the special conditions you will see attached to the memorandum of sale that the vendor specifically requested a £5000 deposit plus our £600 buyers fee which will be refunded to you upon completion.

You have so far deposited £3600. Could we request an extra £2000 deposit from you.”

I paid the additional £2,000 to them, but it’s apparent that others have taken the special conditions to mean what I took them as too.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Did you not check or clarify the condition before purchase?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I read the Special conditions which was only the 1 sentence as above and took it as they would be reimbursing my fees. On the day at the auction I asked how much the buyers auctions fees were and was told £600. I did not have a solicitors look through before auction.

Regardless, I was under the impression you can't or it's very difficult to make any enquiries with the Vendor.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I would consider you need to complete otherwise you would be liable for breach of contract, but make sure it is clear you are paying under protest. Then you can issue a small claim and let a judge decide. Even if you lose you have only lost an issue and hearing fee.
But make sure you pay it to avoid being sued for breach of contract.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

As the wording in the special conditions are vague and I did not prepare the contract would I have a good chance in court or am I in the wrong?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I think you have a decent chance.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes thank you,

Do you have any pointers or expert tips for when I going to small claims court?

Also would you mind pointing me in the direction of how to make the claim?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You would sue for breach of contract. You would also say the terms were not clear and you only paid so you didn't lose the deal.
Is that ok?
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.