Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have been left money by my father who recently passed away,

Customer Question

I have been left money by my father who recently passed away, in his will. The money is in a bank account of which my sister has/ had joint control. She is denying that any such account existed. There are 2 other accounts one which a brother has/ had joint control of. How can I find these accounts and find out their value?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Here, it is your other brother who is executor of your father's will who has the power to obtain full details of all your father's accounts with any bank. This brother executor can write to any financial institution and request details as he is now representing your father in the eyes of the law and has full power to do so. So communicate with this brother and get him to carry out a full investigation into the financial affairs of your father. As executor he is under a duty to do so as part of his legal obligation to gather in all the assets of your father's estate. So before he solicits donations or contributions from you all he should first get details and full account statements of all your fathers' bank accounts.