Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I hope that you can help. I have a property related question.

My mother wishes to transfer the whole of registered title of her property to my sister and I as joint owners. There is no mortgage on the house, it has all been paid off. In order to save time and money we wanted to make the transaction without going to a solicitor. I understand that from www.gov.uk in order to transfer the whole of registered title of her property, we need only complete TR1, ID1 and AP1, we also need a conveyancer to verify the ID's and send the documents to the Land Registery. It it possible that my sister or I could also act as a conveyancer even though we are the transferees? Or is it possible that one of our partners could be the conveyancer? (We are trying to make the process as simple as possible as my mother is not able to get out and about like she used to, therefore we would prefer not having to all visit a Land Registry office to verify IDs. ) If we are doing our own conveyancing then which part of the above 3 forms need to be completed as a conveyancer.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid a lay person is not permitted to act "as a Conveyancer". The Land Registry AP1 Form asks if a Conveyancer is lodging the application, and if you say yes, and type in the party's name, the Land Registry will check to see if that party is a qualified Conveyancing firm.

Therefore, unless you are willing to instruct a local Firm to deal with the TR1 and submit the AP1, you are stuck with having to provide the appropriate ID to the Land Registry.

I am not trying to be rude here, but the Land Registry are trying to cut down on property fraud (having lost millions in the last few years) and this is the reason why they insist on the id question if the parties to a transaction are submitting an AP1 without the use of a Solicitors Firm/Licensed Conveyasncers.

Sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but hope I have helped.

Kind Regards

Al