75100385

I hired a car day. When I picked it up, the car had

I hired a car for one day. When I picked it up, the car had just been washed and was still wet. I explained to the agent that it is difficult for me to assess the car in this condition as I wouldn't be able to see any scratches or dents. The agent reassured me that the car was with no issues.
I drove the car straight to my home which is a gated private parking. I am sure nothing has happened to the car while my possession.
The next day I drove it to the local agent. They detected a small dent on the door. I am now being asked to pay £500 which is the excess.
They phoned me various occasions when I explained my case as above, but to no effect.
So they now put it to legal credit consultant who is now chasing me for the payment.
On the rental car document, I did make a note that the car was wet.
Is there anything I can do or do I just have to pay up?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
With the pick up inspection was it written it was wet and you couldnt properly inspect?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I only made the written statement when the dent was found when I returned the car.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
And you said here it was wet and couldnt properly inspect? Why didnt you raise that on the form when you collected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I pointed the fact out to the agent, and he reassured me that the car was all fine. So I gave him the benefit of the doubt and signed the form.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Indeed. In that case you do not need to pay. Worst case they can issue a small claim against you. Even if you lose then you are only liable for issue and hearing fee. But on the basis it was pointed out to the salesman then I think you should be ok.
They can't claim for something that you did not do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Credit consultant company explained that they will be sending somebody around to "discuss" this matter. I am not sure what to make of that. It is no longer the hire company who is talking to me - Does this matter?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You should write and say you will only allow discussion by letter. To be clear, no-one has right of entry, not even a bailiff. Do not be intimated. Make sure you write and say meetings must be by appointment (if you want that) and they should put EVERYTHING in writing.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.