JG_Legal
JG_Legal, Barrister
Experience:  Experience of consumer law, financial regulation and criminal law.
79731440

My stepson was temp living with his grandmother and registered

My stepson was temp living with his grandmother and registered a car and credit card to her address
He has defaulted on the loan and card and has court judgment against him
He does not live at the address anymore is there any liability to his grandmother
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
The credit card is a personal debt and follows the individual and not the address where the card was registered to. The same applies to the loan (unless it was secured against the property). The creditors (the banks that issued the loans) cannot enforce personal loan debt against the his grandmother in the circumstances you describe. Bailiffs cannot enforce a debt against her for your stepsons debts. If they do come to the address she should tell them he is no longer at the address, it is not for her to prove he doesnt live there. The only issue is that there might be adverse information recorded against the property with credit reference agencies. I recommend that she check her credit file. If there are adverse records against the property she should contact the bank involved and ask them to remove the record. I hope this answers your question but if you require clarification please do not hesitate to contact me.
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 1 year ago.
If I have have answered your question to your satisfaction please accept my answer. If you require further clarification please do not hesitate to contact me.