Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My X Husband has died leaving no will or Children and did not

Customer Question

My X Husband has died leaving no will or Children and did not re-marry he has some relatives.
I have re-married
Am I entitled to any part of his estate
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. I regret to say that once you divorce someone, your claims to a share in their estate upon death, immediately cease. There is no provision in the rules of intestate (without a will) succession for ex wives to gain any share in the estate. It is only blood relatives and current spouses who may have a claim. It makes no difference that the person may not be married. This does not revive any claims of a former spouse, I regret to say. Any potential claim you might have had ended upon your divorce from this man. It is only his relatives who may now claim a share.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If a will has been made and they found it how would I know that they didn't destroy it. My x husband has a 1/2 brother but his nephews and nieces have said they are the next of kin.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Dear Sheila, I regret to say that you have to rely on the honesty of the family to ensure that a will has not been destroyed. This sort of fraudulent conduct is very uncommon and unlikely. However, the blood relatives you mention, such as his nieces and nephews would be the people who would take, if he didn't leave a will.