ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I have lived with my partner and a half years and

Customer Question

Hi, I have lived with my partner for 3 and a half years and he does not want to marry. This is ok but as he does not let me contribute to bills or mortgage,I pay for all food and extras for the house. I am concerned about my security if anything happened to him. I worry that his daughter would want to sell the house, leaving me in a sad state. We have discussed this and he said he would see a solicitor,I have no proof yet. I was left without a home previously sand at 60 do not want a recurrence chi, where do I stand in law please? Thank you
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor and can help you.
You are very right to be concerned. You have described that you are :
- not married - which means that you can't make a claim against your husbands assets should your relationship break down
- do not have children together - which means you can't make a Schedule 1 Children Act Claim for provision for the future needs of your children
- you are not contributing towards the mortgage - meaning you are unlikely to have a Trust of Land Act Claim for a share of his property.
You could quite simply be left with nothing - if the law doesn't change.
It is advisable to get your name on the deeds. Either as a Joint Tenant - so the law considers that you own 50 % Or as Tenants in Common so a share is ring fenced for you.
Joint Tenants would be better as if your partner was to die the you would inherit the whole property - ensuring it can't be sold from under you.
Kind Regards
Caroline
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive feedback is gratefully received. Please note that we receive no credit for our work or payment unless positive feedback is received.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much, its good advice, although he has said all will be taken care of I have no evidence.I do not want to appear greedy but need to care for myself and not be reckless about my situation. He is disabled and his health is more vulnerable although that isn t to say I will outlive him! Unless it is resolved I fear I may have to find rented accommodation to be secure.

Thank you for your response - being sensible is far from being greedy! The law simply doesn't protect you currently.
Kind Regard
Caroline
Positive feedback is gratefully received.