12826847

My 17 yr old grandchild is in care. She is starting a 2 yr

My 17 yr old grandchild is in care. She is starting a 2 yr Level 3 course in Sept at our local college. Her carer will not keep her beyond her 18th birthday next April and my grandchild has asked to come and live with me which I am happy to do. I am 62 and retired on work's based pension of just under£20k. My state pensionable age is 63yrs +. My grandchild will get EMA of £30 per week at college. Am I entitled to claim any other monies ? Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but if she is 18 then she is an adult and all benefits will stop for her save for the ones available to us all in the correct circumstances. If she is in full time education then she is not eligible for ESA I'm afraid although she will get EMA.
You don't mention any disability issues so DLA and carer's allowance do not apply.
I'm afraid that when relatives are 18 we really only look after them and assist them because of family duty. There is no legal duty.
I'm very sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is ESA please?
The Social Worker had said she would receive £2k to help her 'relocate' and could receive Universal Credit of around £50 per week that she could use to pay for her board/keep but when I read the info on line I thought that this wouldn't be payable if she continued in education.
At what age does Child Benefit stop if in full time education? Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The old job seekers allowance.
I am not sure how she could receive credit if she is in full time education?