JG_Legal
JG_Legal, Barrister
Experience:  Experience of consumer law, financial regulation and criminal law.
79731440

2 years ago my ex partner called the police and accused me

2 years ago my ex partner called the police and accused me of putting washing up liquid in her dinner! This was pure fabrication and it never happened. The police visited my house.....had a 10 min chat with me about it.......and then left. I was never arrested, cautioned or anything. I am now told that because of this I am "known to police" on the Tunbridge Wells local pc for a "domestic incident" Is it right that they can do this?
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 2 years ago.
I think I can assist. When a crime is reported the police will assign it a crime reference number (CRN) and the details of it will appear in the narrative of the record. This is an internal police record and will not feature on any CRB check as it is not recorded on your Police National Computer (PNC) record. The police are entitled to store this - it is a private police record - and you should not worry about it. I hope this answers your question but if you require clarification please ask.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But are the police legally allowed to tell other civilians about it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But are the police allowed to furnish other civilians with that information please?

Expert:  JG_Legal replied 2 years ago.
No, most certainly not. The police are not allowed to disclose personal information about you in the way you have described.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well they did........what can I do about it?

Expert:  JG_Legal replied 2 years ago.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission resolve complaints about the police. They have an online form on their website which you can use to complain about a specific police force (https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/complaints). I hope this answers your question. JG
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
If I have have answered your question to your satisfaction please accept my answer. If you require further clarification please do not hesitate to contact me.