13262538

My parents were married yrs, and my mother passed

My parents were married for 52 yrs, and my mother passed away almost 2 yrs ago, my had took up with a woman in May, it lasted less than a week, she "lost the plot" as my dad described it and went back to the man she was living with, romance blossomed again
in July, again for less the a week and she went back to the same man she was living with, it's back on again, my dad seems to be besotted with her and two days into their third attempt at this relationship, the house is getting sold, new on to be put in both
their names, she's getting his pension, marriage forms are in the house and she's getting a third of his estate which is £200,000 + for her third! he's 75 and she is 61 never married and no children is there anything we can do about this stituation she is
cutting him off from everybody that loves and cares for him, blaming us for each time she leaves and goes back to the other sucker, she has no assets of her own, do we just have to grin and bare this?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but i need some further information first.
Is your father mentally competent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We found out during their first attempt at the relationship that they had had a year long affair about 40 yrs ago, her being about 21 and about 35 he is totally besotted with her, the love of his life, he has had to ask me to contact friends and tell them not to message, text or phone him, break off all contact because she just loses the plot (as he says)..
Was the matrimonial home originally help in joint names with your mother?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I'm sure it would have been
If he mentally capable there is a limit to what you can do I am afraid.
HOWEVER if you approach it from another angle you may be able to protect half of the property.
This would be based on the argument that it would be a way of protecting his assets from Nursing Home fees
If a Deed of Variation is used leaving your mother's interest in the property to you and your siblings but giving your father the right to use it for his life then it woudl be safe - from anything....
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.