Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

After a complaint to Npower in June 2014 they sent me a

Customer Question

After a complaint from myself to Npower on 23rd June 2014

I queried my final bill, Npower sent me a Letter saying my final bill had been written off as a gesture of goodwill on 20th August 2014. Npower have now written to me 22nd August 2015 (a year later) and are now saying that letter was sent out in error and I have to pay it? Surely this can't be correct? Do I seriously have to Pay what they had written off or is the letter from Npower in 2014 a binding contract?

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help with your question today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alice.

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
How much are they seeking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's roughly £316.00

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I think NPower will have great difficulty in pursuing this debt in light of the letter you received in 2014 - regardless of whether it was sent out in error or not. You will be able to rely on the doctrine of estoppel - in short their is a line of cases which state that if you have been made a promise which you have relied on in good faith, then the promisor cannot go back on that promise. In any event the amount being sought is a small claim and if you defend it based on promissory estoppel then NPower will have incur at least double the debt in order to recover it without any grounds to recover their legal fees back from you. They are in short throwing good time and money after bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply Alice. It's given me peace of mind. I thought the worlds going mad - I couldn't understand them asking for it. It is a small amount which is probably why they wrote it off considering my complaint - It isn't about giving them the money but the principal of their word considering they're a large company.

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
It's my pleasure. So long as you stand your ground, nothing more should come of this. Alice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've told them I'm not paying the amount out of principle but they have sent me court papers for a court in Northampton - I shall use part of your reply in my reply to Northampton court as I've disputed I owe them money in light of my Letter writing the amount off from Npower in 2014.

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
You will have received a claim pack from Northampton County Court Business Centre. It's probably a claim made online and you should be able to respond online using a password ***** the papers.
You need to lodge a defence within 14-days of service.
OR
You can acknowledge service within 14-days and then file a defence 14-days thereafter.
It is essential that you meet the deadlines otherwise NPower could apply for judgment in default which will seriously affect your credit files plus they will seek to enforce.
If you need help with your defence please let me know but there will be an additional fee.
Hope this helps. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answer - happy to discuss further if needed.
Alice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im happy replying to the court thank you Alice - they had already sent me court papers before the letter saying they sent the "goodwill" letter in error - If that makes sense - That is what threw me and I just needed clarity on the "goodwill letter " for my reply to court.

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
No problem. All the very best.