Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Purchase of new build property (not ready yet.

Purchase of new build property (not ready for occupation yet. Who signs in England the exchange of contracts. An elderly friend has been told by their solicitor, deed done and exchange of contracts effected by the lawyer with no need for buyer to sign.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your enquiry.

It would be normal for the Buyer and Seller to sign the Contract themselves.

However, provided their Solicitor has their authority, the Solicitor is entitled to sign the Contract on behalf of their client. This would normally entail the Solicitor phoning the client and asking their authority for him to sign the Contract.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

However, please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards

Al