Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

How can i find out if my late father as left a will

how can i find out if my late father as left a will
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please clarify that you are trying to find the original Will as opposed to whether someone else has admnistered his Estate and you want to know what was contained in the Will?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

he as just died recently and as his dying was kept from me by his partner i think they could be a will especially as my dad came into a substantial amount of compensation about 4 or 5 years ago i dont know how to go about finding out whether he as left a will

Hi Debra,

Thanks for your reply.

In terms of tracking down a will, you are restricted to old fashioned detective work, as there is no central register of Wills.

It will therefor ebe necessary for you to go through his papers to see if there is any correspondence from a solicior or will writer/speaking to his solicitor/phoning around other local solicitors and will writers/checking with his Bank whether they are holding it.

There is a central database caled certainty which is worth checking. It is far from universally used but it is another option for you.

www.certainty.co.uk

If you feel that his partner may be administering the Estate without letting you know, it would be normal for Probate to be obtained. This is a requirement if the value of the Estate was over £5,000. If probate has been granted, or is it to be granted (it would normally be issued 3-5 months after death, so it is doubtful it will have been obtained yet) then you would be able to get a copy easily enough by making an request of the Probate Registry. Instructions for doing that are here: http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/copies-of-grants-wills

I am sorry I am sending you links to websites, but I am afraid this is

the easiest way to find information.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Al