12826847

I replaced a fence in the back garden between a house I own

I replaced a fence in the back garden between a house I own and rent out and my neighbours. Initially the neighbour told my tenants he was happy with the job. However last Friday he smashed up part of the fence and uprooted one of the concrete posts in a drunken rage. The tenants have informed the police and sent me a crime number. How can I get my neighbour to pay for the damage he has caused?
Will the tenants give evidence against him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sure they would, plus another neighbour witnessed the incident.
How much will it cost to put right roughly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
£200
Ok.
Just send him one letter setting out that you are of the view that he caused the damage and is therefore liable for the cost of repair. Make clear that if he does not pay within 14 days of the date of the letter you will sue him at the small claims court and seek costs and interest.
He may agree. He may not.
If you get no response then issue against him here
www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
It will cost about £35 which you can claim back from him.
It is very unlikely that he will contest this. I cannot imagine what his defence will be.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks for this. it was pretty much what I was going to do. Would the police press any charges for criminal damage?
Yes, they may.
It is criminal damage.
Whether they will or not depends really. I cannot see a justification for not doing so but I'm afraid that proper crime is playing second fiddle at the moment to what we euphemistically call 'domestic abuse' which the rest of us would call a row.