75100385

I received Penalty Charge yesterday from Coventry City

I received Penalty Charge yesterday from Coventry City Council for being in a bus lane at 8.45am on Sunday August 2nd 2015.
Situation: I was driving to get to the BBC Radio Coventry & Warwickshire studios in centre of Coventry and was late by 10 minutes. I was trying desperately to find the studios-as the city centre is notoriously confusing to outsiders to navigate around. I was nearby so I rang the studio to guide me in. While on the phone I took a wrong turn into a pedestrianised area where another taxi had gone before me, in order to turn round. At that time I was giving my location/landmarks around me to the studio person-when I turned accidentally into the 20-30 metre link road to another section of the city centre. I did not see the bus lane signs at all, and because 1-2 taxis were coming and going though here I used it to turn back round to go where the studio person had guided me. I didnt realise until the penalty charge arrived in the post that I had crossed into a bus lane.
Why was there a restriction operating on a Sunday early morning at 8.45 am? Normally they are 6-7pm M-F in most cities. Secondly my purpose for the trip to the studio was that I was invited by them to talk about the Lifestyle Show I was organising at their Ricoh Arena, Coventry. This event was bringing in national and international exhibitors and visitors with hotels being booked fully for visitors. So I was promoting Coventry and providing a direct benefit to the economy of Coventry- far far more than the £60 penalty they want to charge me with!
Please advise what I should do.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Have you asked to see evidence of signage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No..not yet.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I would ask to see evidence. If there is signage I am sorry to say no matter what the reason you would be guilty of the contravention. But if there is a lack of signage then you can get off.
Ask for evidence of adequate signs and if there are none then you have an appeal.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.