13262538

Good evening; I am already paying child support in the UK.

Customer Question

Good evening; I am already paying child support in the UK. Am I obliged by law to pay the school fees in addition to the child support?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are there any court orders in place please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a court order in place
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What does it require?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The order just mentioned that I should pay US$1000 per month which I have paid dutifully since 2009
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhich court made the Order and where do the children now live?Who has paid the fees to date?Clare
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The order was made by the Croydon County Court (Case reference no CR08P02151) Altyre Road Croydon on 25th September 2009. The child currently lives with the mum in London. The mum paid the fees from the monthly child support of US$1000 up till now. She recently applied for an increase in child support (which I am willing to give) but is also asking for a yearly school fees of 13,000 GBP. Your guidance on this issue would be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will also need a lawyer to act on my behalf on this issue; how and where can I get a good lawyer in the UK as live in Africa?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What is your current gross income and do you have any other children in your household?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My current gross income is US$10,000. I have a biological child in my household but do have others that I am supporting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clare I am still waiting for your kind response
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Is that a monthly figure - and how many children under 18
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My current income is a monthly figure. I have one child under 18 living in my household. I am paying child support (US$1000 monthly) for one child under 18, the child lives in the UK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will appreciate your speedy response to my initial question on whether the law requires me to pay school fees in addition to the child support which I am paying already
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Furthermore, I how can I secure the services of a very good and reasonable price family lawyer to represent me in this case? Thank you and hope to hear from you soon
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
`Hi
What you are currently paying in child maintenance is in line with what a Court is likely to Order.
The issue of the School fees is in fact a separate one and the mother would have to persuade the court that it is reasonable for you to be required to pay for private education for the child
So the position is that the Court has the power to order this - but does not have to do so - and given that you are already paying a substantial amount in maintenance it is unlikely that you would also have to pay ALL the School fees.
You can find a family lawyer on the website here
http://www.resolution.org.uk/findamember/
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for the very useful feedback
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome I hope all goes well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Clare, does the lawyer of the mother of my daughter have right to ask for my payslip? Do I also have a right to ask for the payslip of the mother of my daughter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lawyers contacted on the Resolution website are not interested to take a foreign client; any other advice? Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HI
Yes he has the right to ask for your payslips - and you are entitled to ask for hers.
Your other option is to look at the bigger firms in the area where your ex lives