Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

A customer has stopped a cheque for £750 saying the paint work

A customer has stopped a cheque for £750 saying the paint work I did on his motorcycle parts had some defects he inspected them when he picked them up and was happy but emailed me when he arrived home. I offered to have a look and put right anything that I found but he says he is taking it to someone else and get them to do it and will send me the difference
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What exactly do you wish to know about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I can't seem to find an answer to my question can he do this the people he takes it to could say anything or charge any thing then at his discression he will send a cheque for the remainder I thought you weren't allowed to stop a cheque for no reason
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
It is not illegal to stop a cheque even after it has been paid into your bank.
The best way to guarantee payment by cheque is to ask for a bankers draft or, of course, to take cash.
But a personal cheque can be stopped at anytime before it clears.
The position you are in is that the invoice for the work done is outstanding and payment is due - you should contact the customer and request full payment insettlement within 7 days otherwise you will sue in the County Court.
Your only remedy really is to start legal proceedings for recovery of the debt due.
But you are right to think the amount you recover might be less if the customer can show that your workmanship is below standard and he could offset anything he pays a new painter against what you're due.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi can I ask for a copy of what the other company thinks needs doing and an estimate before he goes ahead and gets it done as they could say anything and charge anything thanks
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Yes absolutely.
You can ask to see their estimate and a breakdown of what they think needs to be done to rectify the problem that he seems to be complaining about.