LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I have been living at my brothers flat years and I would

Customer Question

I have been living at my brothers flat for 10 years and I would like to be added to the tenancy, which is owned by the housing association. I contribute to the bill payments.
What rights do I have and can I be added to the tenancy as well?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
You have no right to be added to the tenancy unless there is some specific right to do so included in your brother's tenancy agreement. This would be unlikely. Your legal status is a guest (if you pay no rent to him) of your brother, or a lodger/poss sub tenant of your brother if you do.
If your brother is agreeable to you becoming a joint tenant with him then you could jointly seek to persuade the Association to allow you to become a joint tenant but they would not have to.